Civil Peace Worker in Myanmar
KURVE Wustrow, together with its partner organisation “Kalyana Mitta Development Foundation”, is searching for a Civil Peace Worker in Myanma for its CPS-programme “Strengthening capacities for peace and human rights education and for an active civil society”.
Kalyana Mitta Development Foundation (KMF) is a registered NGO with projects in the fields of youth peace work, the environment and organic farming. KMF works on raising awareness for peace from a socially engaged Buddhist perspective. The “Education for Peace” project focuses on promoting peace skills of students in teacher trainings and on advocacy for the integration of Peace Education in teacher trainings.
Field of work:
As an integrated Civil Peace Worker you support a local organisation in a team with two Local Peace Workers to strengthen KMF’s work in the field of peace education with a focus on overcoming discrimination based on religious and ethnic differences.
- Planning, implementation and monitoring of the CPS project
- Strategic development, planning and implementation of advocacy and networking activities in collaboration with other organisations and state institutions from the field of education on issues of peace education.
- Supporting the preparation, implementation and evaluation of trainings/workshops on peace education and other follow-up activities, designing training curricula
- Engaging in public relations, campaigning, program and organisational development as required by the partner organisation
- Integrating into the partner organisation’s young team and adjusting to the partner organisation’s working conditions
- Ensuring proper and adequate application and reporting of funds and regular communication with the CPS country coordinator and KURVE Wustrow in Germany
- Contribute to ongoing conflict and security analyses of the CPS country coordination and close cooperation with other International Peace Workers in Myanmar
- Where necessary, public relations and networking activities for KURVE Wustrow in Germany
- University or similar degree in peace and conflict studies, political science, pedagogy, international relations, or another relevant field
- Sound knowledge and experience in the field of peacebuilding and civil conflict transformation; experience in peace education, negotiation and facilitation trainings are an asset
- Strong communication skills, especially with regard to dealing with different actors (team, university, ministry, etc.)
- Experience in advocacy and the development of strategic approaches in this area
- Sound knowledge and experience in project management and evaluation as well as reporting and documentation (PM&E)
- Several years of working experience with NGOs and networks, preferably in intercultural teams and/or abroad
- Knowledge of the country/context and work experience in Myanmar as well as experience in the university sector are an asset
- Sound knowledge of training topics such as non-violent communication, child rights, gender, ethnic and religious conflicts are an asset
- Willingness to travel to remote areas and to work on weekends and public holiday
- Respectful and interculturally sensitive attitude, analytical-strategic thinking skills, ability for self-reflection, high degree of flexibility, teamwork and adaptability to basic working conditions
- Contextual knowledge about Peace Education (especially in the Myanmar context) or willingness to develop this knowledge in depth
- Good computer skills including social media
- High command of English and willingness to learn Burmese, German language skills are an asset