Civil Peace Worker in Loikaw, Myanmar
KURVE Wustrow and its partner organization Kainayar Rural Social Development Organisation (KRSDO) are seeking a Civil Peace Worker in Loikaw, Myanmar, for the CPS-program “Strengthening local capacities for nonviolent conflict transformation and political participation”.
As an international peace worker, you will support up to three organisations actively in strategic development of civil conflict transformation measures and trainings in Kayah state and Southern Shan State. The local organisations mainly work with internally displaced persons, refugees and the host communities, as well as with religious (Christian) and ethnic minorities.
- Planning, implementation, close monitoring and reporting of the CPS project in cooperation with a local team
- Support the development and implementation of training interventions on civil conflict transformation, nonviolent action, human rights and community mediation; as well as the monitoring and evaluation of training measures
- Networking activities with government and civil society actors as well as peace education organisations, together with KRSDO and other partner organisations in Myanmar
- Advising local partner organisations on human rights and advocacy.
- Adjustment to the partner organisations’ working conditions. Support the partner organisation(s) in processes of institutional development and strategy development in accordance with identified needs
- Budget planning and monitoring, ensuring a proper and adequate use of funds, and regular communication with the CPS country coordinator and KURVE Wustrow office in Germany
- Contribute in ongoing conflict and security analyses in relation to the CPS project
- Work in close cooperation with the regional coordinator and other international peace workers and CPS projects in Myanmar
- Where necessary, support of public relation, networking and advocacy activities in Germany
- University or a similar degree in peace and conflict studies, international relations, or another relevant field
- Relevant advanced training in the area of civil nonviolent conflict transformation, for example mediator, civil peace worker, trainer in nonviolent conflict transformation
- Several years of work experience within NGOs, especially in intercultural teams and in international and conflict contexts and with grassroots organizations; ability to work and build trust with diverse stakeholders (communities, students, government authorities, international agencies, other NGOs, etc.)
- Sound knowledge and experience in the field of peacebuilding, civil conflict transformation and human rights, especially minority rights
- Experience in contexts with multi-ethnic conflicts and armed resistance movements for autonomy
- Relevant experience in and knowledge of project management and strategic development, incl. M&E of peace, development and/or humanitarian projects in conflict contexts
- Knowledge about the challenges regarding the security situation of peace activists in the specific political context, and the ability to constantly assess and reflect on own actions from a security and Do No Harm perspective
- Location of work and housing is Loikaw, Kayah State, a small town with 12.000 inhabitants and basic living conditions; Willingness for frequent and longer work travel to Yangon and remoter areas, if the security situation allows it.
- Very good team player with intercultural competences; analytical and strategic thinking, ability for self-reflection, high flexibility
- Contextual knowledge about Myanmar and Kayah State, or willingness to develop this knowledge in depth
- Good IT skills
- Professional command of English and the willingness to learn Burmese; Burmese and German language skills would be an asset